Primary PPA Cover Ltd recognises the contribution we can make to protect children in any of the clubs that we run and we are committed to combat child abuse in every way in which it may arise. Safeguarding at Primary PPA Cover Ltd is considered everyone’s responsibility and as such our company aims to create the safest environment in which every child or young person has the opportunity to maximise their potential. At Primary PPA Cover Ltd, we recognise the contribution that we can make to ensure that all children who access our services feel that they will be listened to and appropriate action taken. Our beliefs and our policy directly reflect the UK’s Department for Education initiative “Every Child Matters” (ECM), launched in 2003. All of our staff have safeguarding training every year.
The aims of this policy:
- To ensure that the children and young people in our care are safe and protected from harm
- To provide staff with the overreaching principles that guide our approach to child protection; Primary PPA Cover Ltd believes that a child or young person should never experience abuse of any kind. We have a responsibility to promote the welfare of all children and young people and to keep them safe. We are committed to practice in a way that protects them
- To ensure that children are effectively safeguarded from the potential risk of harm and that the safety and well-being of the children is of the highest priority in all aspects of our work
The purpose of this policy:
To ensure that all members of the Primary PPA Cover Ltd community:
- are aware of their responsibilities in relation to safeguarding and child protection
- know the procedures that should be followed if they have a cause for concern
- know where to go to find additional information regarding safeguarding
- are aware of the key indicators relating to child abuse
- fully support our commitment to safeguarding and child protection
Primary PPA Cover Ltd recognises its legal and moral duty to promote the well-being of children, and protect them from harm, and respond to child abuse. We believe that every child regardless of age has at all times and in all situations a right to feel safe and protected from any situation or practice that results in a child being physically, emotionally, or sexually abused or neglected.
We agree that we have a primary responsibility for the care, welfare and safety of the children in our charge, and we will carry out this duty through our teaching and learning practice and activities. In order to achieve this, all members of staff (including volunteers and governors), in whatever capacity, will at all times, act proactively in child welfare matters especially where there is a possibility that a child may be at risk of significant harm.
Primary PPA Cover Ltd seeks to adopt an open and accepting attitude towards children as part of their responsibility for pastoral care. Primary PPA Cover Ltd ensure that parents and children feel confident to talk about any concerns and will see our lessons as a safe place if there are any difficulties at home.
Children’s worries, questions and fears will be taken seriously if they seek help from a member of staff. However, staff cannot promise secrecy if concerns are such that referral must be made to the appropriate agencies in order to safeguard the child’s welfare.
At Primary PPA Cover Ltd, if we have suspicions that a child’s physical, sexual or emotional well-being is being, or is likely to be, harmed, or that they are being neglected, we will take appropriate action in accordance with the procedures issued by the appropriate LADO.
We recognise that:
- the welfare of the child/young person is paramount
- all children, regardless of age, disability, gender, racial heritage, religious belief, sexual orientation or identity, have the right to equal protection from all types of harm or abuse
- working in partnership with children, young people, their parents, carers and other agencies is essential in promoting young people’s welfare
1. This policy is consistent with the legal duty to safeguard and promote the welfare of children
2. There are four main elements to our Child Protection Policy:
- Prevention (e.g. positive atmosphere, leader’s support to pupils);
- Protection (by following agreed procedures, ensuring staff are trained and supported to respond appropriately and sensitively to Child Protection concerns);
- Support (to children who may have been abused);
3. The policy applies to all staff at Primary PPA Cover Ltd. We recognise that child protection is the responsibility of all staff within our company. We will ensure that all Head Teachers are aware of our child protection policy by making a copy available to them, displaying appropriate information on our website and by raising awareness at initial meetings with head teachers.
4. Primary PPA Cover Ltd will:
- Establish and maintain an ethos where children feel secure and are encouraged to talk, and are listened to;
- Ensure every effort is made to establish effective working relationships with staff at schools who use Primary PPA Cover Ltd;
- Operate safe recruitment procedures by employing only individuals who have worked with children for a minimum of 3 years, using a strict interview process, and ensuring that all appropriate checks are carried out on new staff and volunteers who will work with children, including references and DBS checks.
- NOT tolerate Bullying, and when Physical Intervention is necessary, Primary PPA Cover Ltd will fully investigate every incident.
5. We will seek to keep children and young people safe by:
- valuing them, listening to and respecting them;
- adopting child protection practices through procedures and a code of conduct for staff and volunteers;
- providing effective management for staff and volunteers through supervision, support and training;
- recruiting staff and volunteers safely, ensuring all necessary checks are made;
- sharing information about child protection and good practice with children, parents, staff and volunteers;
- sharing concerns with agencies who need to know, and involving parents and children appropriately
- Working closely with schools to make children feel safe at all times, and to follow the School’s procedures and those outlined in the National Curriculum e.g. Schools having ‘Show and Tell’ afternoons in relation to projects done in lessons with Primary PPA Cover Ltd (For the Early Years Foundation Stage)
Roles and Responsibilities – General
6. All adults working with or on behalf of children have a responsibility to safeguard and promote the welfare of children. Therefore, if staff have any concerns about a child, all staff must give a written report to the Senior Designated Person at the school (during term time) and to the SDP of Primary PPA Cover Ltd: Leah Moore. The SDP will pass his/her concerns on to the appropriate regional Social Care or Social Services Board if she is concerned that the child or children are being harmed in any way (emotionally, sexually, physically) or being neglected or are at risk of being harmed in any way or being neglected. All staff must not promise the child to keep the information a secret and bear in mind the children’s safety at all times. In the unlikely event that an allegation is made against a member of Primary PPA Cover Ltd staff, all witnesses will write a written report and send to Primary PPA Cover Ltd SDP (Leah Moore) who will report the allegation to the appropriate LADO. If the allegation/concern is made about a member of the school staff/Head Teacher, Primary PPA Cover Ltd ensures the responsibility of reporting a concern of this nature to Social Care and to OFSTED.
All allegations and incidents are taken extremely seriously and Primary PPA Cover Ltd will make every effort to investigate each occurrence as promptly as possible.
7. Staff and Training
- Each member of staff is monitored by their Staff Coordinator during their trial period, who reports back to the Manager. Observation reports are filled in by the Staff Coordinator, and all parties involved are given a copy.
- All Primary PPA Cover Ltd staff have Safeguarding & Child Protection Certification and this is renewed every year. During term time, they are also given training by the schools they work in for Safeguarding, along with DVDs to watch and booklets for future reference.
- Primary PPA Cover Ltd provide training to all staff through companies such as Lifetime, to provide on -going training in the work place