1.1 At Primary PPA Cover Ltd we value the individuality of all of the children we teach. We are committed to giving all children every opportunity to achieve the highest of standards. We do this by taking account of children’s’ varied life experiences and needs. We offer a broad range of activities and have high expectations for all children. The achievements, attitudes and well-being of all our children matter. This policy helps to ensure that Primary PPA Cover Ltd promotes the individuality of all our children, irrespective of ethnicity, attainment, age, disability, gender or background.
2 Aims and objectives
2.1 Primary PPA Cover Ltd aims to be an inclusive PPA Provider. We actively seek to remove the barriers to learning and participation that can hinder or exclude individual children, or groups of children. This means that equality of opportunity must be a reality for children who attend our clubs. We make this a reality through the attention we pay to the different groups of children who may be present during our lessons:
- girls and boys;
- minority ethnic and faith groups;
- children who need support to learn English as an additional language;
- children who do not speak Spanish or English;
- children with special educational needs;
- able, gifted and talented children;
- children who are at risk of disaffection or exclusion;
- asylum seekers;
2.2 We offer a wide range of activities which meet the specific needs of individuals and groups of children. We meet these needs through:
- setting suitable learning challenges;
- responding to children’s diverse learning needs;
- overcoming potential barriers to learning or participation of individuals and groups of children
2.3 We achieve educational inclusion by continually reviewing what we do, through asking ourselves these key questions:
- Are all children happy during our lessons?
- What are we doing for those children who we know are not achieving their best?
- Are our actions effective?
- Are we successful in promoting racial harmony and preparing children to live in a diverse society?
3 Teaching and learning style
3.1 We aim to give all children the opportunity to succeed and reach the highest level of personal achievement. When our specialists plan their lessons, they take into account that the abilities of the children may vary.
3.2 Our staff are familiar with the equal opportunities legislation covering race, gender and disability which is outlined in our equal opportunities policy.
3.4 Our staff ensure that all children:
- Feel secure and know that their contributions are valued;
- Appreciate and value the differences they see in others;
- Take responsibility for their own actions;
- Participate safely in clothing that is appropriate to their religious beliefs
- Use materials that reflect a range of social and cultural backgrounds
- Participate fully, regardless of disabilities or medical needs.
4. Children with disabilities or special educational needs
4.1 Some children present in our lessons have disabilities and/or special educational needs. We are committed to meeting the needs of these children, as we are to meeting the needs of all groups of children who attend. All reasonable steps are taken to ensure that these children are not placed at any kind of disadvantage compared to non-disabled children.
4.2 Staff modify teaching and learning expectations as appropriate for children with disabilities and/or additional needs. For example, they may give additional time to complete certain activities, or they may modify materials used in the session. In their planning, staff ensure that they give children with disabilities/additional needs the opportunity to develop their skills in all activities provided.
5 Inclusion and racism
5.1 The diversity of our society is addressed through our lessons. We welcome children from all social and ethnic backgrounds. Our teachers are flexible in their planning and offer appropriate challenges to all pupils, regardless of ethnic or social background. All racist incidents are recorded and reported to a senior member of staff (for more information regarding this please see our Equal Opportunities policy).
6.1 At Primary PPA Cover Ltd, we value each child as a unique individual. We will strive to meet the needs of all children who are present during our lessons and seek to ensure that we meet all statutory requirements related to matters of inclusion.
7 Monitoring and review
7.1 This policy is monitored by management and will be reviewed annually. Last reviewed 5.12.17